3.31.2014

DIY: coconut oil face creme

I have been loving coconut oil these days. Buy me a ticket for the bandwagon because this stuff is great. I bought this big thing of it from Costco and I have used it for cooking, in my coffee, as diaper cream for Ivy, as cream for Ivy's cradle cap, and on my face at night. I love the way my skin feels in the morning, but it was a little, well, as you would expect, oily. So I made my own little creme to make it more like lotion and less like oil. I googled a few different things and came up with this concoction. It took 10 minutes to make, while the kids were finishing their breakfast. 


I decided to use just what I had on hand. Coconut oil (1 cup), aloe vera and vitamin E (10 capsules) and peppermint essential oil (a few drops). I got the aloe vera capsules at the grocery store and I would use one of my face at night. You can use any essential oil you have, but I had peppermint when a friend gave it to me to help with my migraines.


The consistency of this stuff is odd, so I mixed it in my kitchen aid mixer for about 10 minutes to whip it, whip it good.


If you've ever eaten dinner at our house, you'll most likely drink out of a mason jar, or another reused jar because that's just what we do. I started getting this great sauce and I love the jar, so I cleaned out one of them, for this creme. Note: clean that jar A LOT. The top of this jar still has the remnant of curry chicken. Oh well… 


I added the other two things and whipped it more until it looked like frosting. 


See how nice that looks? I read that if you keep it in temperature cooler than 75 degrees, it will stay creamy like this. 

I was carrying my large coconut oil jar around from kitchen to bathroom to Ivy's changing table and it doesn't really fit anywhere, so now it fits right next to my face soap. It's the little things. 


The use your super cool label maker and you have yourself face creme forever! My favorite is the peppermint smell, it's refreshing. The combination of coconut and peppermint is delicious too. If I didn't have serious bags under my eyes due to newborn sleep patterns, I'd show you a picture of my face, but, you know, just take my word for it. This stuff is great. I was spending about $40 of face lotion about twice a year, and this is way more than I'll use probably in a whole year. And it saves me a trip to the mall. And is was pretty much free because I had everything. WIN, WIN, WIN!

So what cooking products are you putting on your face? Have you been using coconut oil?
Has is changed your life?

Happy Monday, friends.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I really want to try oil pulling, but I'm afraid it might yank out my fillings or crowns? Good idea with the moisturizer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...